King John's Garden
Following the demolition of the 18th century cottages that had been built onto the 13th century guesthouse, in the 1930’s a formal garden with greenhouses was laid out. However, after the Second World War the gardens were neglected and in the 1980s the land was designated as Public Open Space in the Town Centre Plan.
Gilly Drummond, then Chairman of the Hampshire Gardens Trust, encouraged Test Valley District Council to compulsory purchase the site. With funding from Hampshire County Council and English Heritage, the neglected gardens were converted into a garden with historic references, which was opened by the Mayoress of Test Valley in 1985.
The courtyard is now used for music, drama, poetry and arts and crafts displays. Further developments have taken place in the building and a new Victorian garden has been created. As a result Romsey now has a most peaceful and beautiful place to relax.
Back to Projects Completed