Association of Friends Groups
King John’s Garden
The present garden adjoining King John’s House in Romsey was started in 1990. The idea was to create a period garden in keeping with the historical buildings associated with the site. The oldest, King John’s House, dates from the 13th century and first belonged to Romsey Abbey until its dissolution in 1539. In late Tudor times a two storey timber frame building was added. All the plants in the first part of the garden were in cultivation before 1700 and this part of the garden was opened in 1995. When the Victorian property which now houses the Museum was purchased, a further garden beside the tea room was established in 2001 with a Victorian flavour.
The garden is now well established and provides a delightful green sanctuary in the heart of Romsey. It is divided in two parts by a high brick wall, all that remains of the Queen Ann cottages which once stood on this spot. The north side of the garden is more informal having an area of spring meadow planted with apple trees, a summer meadow and bounded on one side by a stream. There is also a stone paved courtyard with a quince and a pentice which provides a shady seating area.
The south side of the garden is laid out in a series of gardens, there is a medieval style herber, then a series of beds well stocked with flowers of the period, including lavender, old roses and clematis. From here the path leads to a fountain courtyard and then to the tearoom in the Victorian garden.
The garden is maintained by a team of volunteers, the Friends of King John’s Garden, who meet once a week on Thursday mornings. For contact or further information
King John’s Garden is a community garden, open daily, except Sundays, from 10am – 4pm. Entry to the garden is free and there is a charge for admission to the house and museum.