Research – 17th to 20th Century
Geo Wyther’s 1613 plan of Beaurepaire moated house and deer park. Noted are ‘The Greate Parke’, ‘The Little Parke’, ‘The Lodge Close’, ‘The Aulders’ (orchard) and ‘Peper Woode’. ‘The Vine House’ is marked on the right hand side.
Bramshill Park is set within a network of avenues and axial rides with formal walled gardens.
At Basing House a 17th century style parterre garden has been created adjacent to the pigeon-cote tower.
In the early 18th century at Warbrook, John James had the formal canal constructed following the French La Notre style. In 1712, James had translated Dezallier d’Argenville, The Theory and Practice of Gardening from the French to English which probably contributed to his own formal garden planning and those of other English patrons and craftsmen.
The Temple or Rotunda, at Highclere Castle reflects the classical style seen by rich young men on their grand tours of Europe during the 18th century.
The ha-ha was built to provide a seamless view from the garden to the pasture beyond. The ha-ha could be just a ditch or fence. Here, at Hale, it was built of brick, probably for the architect Thomas Archer.
The house and garden were built in the late 18th century for the Shaw-Lefevre family. Late in the 19th century, it was famed for its displays of carpet bedding on the terrace overlooking the lake, which were masterminded for Lord Eversley by the Head Gardener, William Wildsmith. Many of Wildsmith’s apprentices became Head Gardeners on various Hampshire estates.
1899 and 1901, Seldon Wornum designed and laid out an Italian terrace and garden and a Dutch garden for Sir Lionel Phillips. Further additions were made by Robert Weir Schultz between 1901 and 1904, including an orangery, greenhouses, summerhouses, and boathouses. In 1906, Gertrude Jekyll sketched the planting scheme for Schultz’s design of the wild garden.
Elvetham is renowned for the Earl of Hertford’s extravagant entertainment for Elizabeth I in 1591. Many alterations were made between that event and the destruction of the house by fire in 1840. Between 1859 and 1862, S S Teulon designed the new house and Italian terrace for the Calthorpe family.
Melchet Court, now St Edward’s School
The Arts and Crafts formal garden at Melchet Court was designed by Darcy Braddell and Humphry Deane in 1914 for Sir Alfred Mond, later Lord Melchett.
War Memorial Park, in Basingstoke
War Memorial Park, in Basingstoke, was formerly part of an 18th century English style landscape park of Goldings. The District Council acquired the estate in the early 20th century. In 1922, the bandstand was moved from Fairfields and, in 1999, was relocated to its present position.
Longstock Water Gardens
In the 1950’s, John Spedan Lewis created the Longstock Water Gardens, first by dredging gravel from the river bank, to form a lake, and then developing the five acre archipelago.